Thursday, July 21, 2005

They'll rupture the time/space continuum!

So the US Congress passed a law expanding Daylight Saving Time into March and November as part of a package to reduce energy use.

Is it just me or is this the dumbest argument for changing the way time is measured in North America. I know time doesn't actually exist blah blah blah...aside from that, if they're serious about energy conservation, they really should just make Daylight Saving Time 12 months of the year. I mean, why only save daylight 9 months of the year? you're wasting those 3 months! In fact, this scheme is obviously much easier and much more logical than say, giving incentives to individuals to reduce their own energy consumption by the 2.2% they've saved from current DST.

And I love the Congress-induced vertigo already happening in Canada if we don't follow suit. This is what politicians will be dealing with if Bush signs it into law, instead of talking about real issues. Oh, I can't wait for the cacophony of the Left bemoaning how following suit will diminish our sovereignty and the Right arguing how Canada will create a rip in the time/space continuum if we don't. Hey, US Congress, have I said how much I appreciated what you do for us lately?

And to those politicians who say this will help them because they can turn on their streetlights later...You do know YOU can change when the lights come on in your city RIGHT NOW? You do know you control your lighting system and not the Sun, right?

I'm going to lie down. Maybe when I wake up, it'll be 3PM last wednesday and none of this will have occurred.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

I get your point about being able to control the street lights, but really, the street lights have to come on when it gets dark for all kinds of safety issues.

What should really be done is a policy of turning off some of those many lights that are left on in businessess all-day and all-night.

Not too mention the obvious fact that lighting makes up a tiny percentage of energy use in N.A, so the whole strategy is a little ridiculous.

True Blue said...

I've been surprised the most people with blogs seem to be against extending DST. I'm with you, make it all year long. I even wrote a post in my blog:

www.independentsources.com

addressing where the biggest complaints are coming from: Airlines, Farmers, and even religious folks(!).

blackhole said...

Matt, I know that lights have to come on when it's dark for safety issues. My point was that various officials were saying that they CAN NOW turn on the lights later with the extension of the daylight savings time.

Insider...you do know that if it's all year long, DST couldn't exist anymore b/c it would be as if the time was never adjusted at all...? And you probably didn't catch my sarcasm but I'm actually against extending DST because it's a stupid idea that won't do any of the things it's touted to do.