Sunday, March 26, 2006

garbage, garbage, everywhere...

I'm sitting here in Stauffer Library *ahem* working *ahem (I don't know how to apply strikethrough characters...anyone, anyone...?) and behind me I've noticed that one of the garbage can is WAY overcapacity, in essence, a veritable mountain of garbage.

Clearly, the janitorial staff doesn't come in on the weekends to clear the trash and as exam time approaches, there's probably a linear if not quadratic or cubic increase in garbage that students generate.

I don't really have a point, except it reminds me of the beginning of the Simpsons' episode "Trash of the Titans" when Homer, Lisa and Bart are trying to NOT be the one with the last piece of garbage that can't stay on top of the garbage pile (otherwise, he/she would be the one who has to take out the trash...). I also can't remember the dialogue exchange between the three about the "rules of the garbage can," because that's what makes the joke here (and since I can't even find it after Googling, the joke is ruined).

I would love to see them institute this rule for the students using Stauffer. I bet THAT would reduce consumption by quite a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

<strike>stuff</strike>

Matthew said...

Is the trash predominantly full of paper coffee cups and other food related refuse?

I suspect that it is.

If the librarians and security guards at Stauffer were to crack-down on students bringing in unnecessary and potentially damaging outside food and drink, there likely wouldn't be this problem.

Libraries are not places to drink coffee, or eat snacks, or consume whole slices of pizza, as I have seen people do. That's what breaks are for; hence the term 'coffee break.'

Eating and drinking in a library is gross, disrespectful to fellow library patrons, and vastly increases the likleyhood of causing damage to library resources, both books and the precious computers.

Of course, the kids these days...