Sunday, September 10, 2006

Hope this World Container can be salvaged...

The Tragically Hip is one of my favourite bands. I know not everyone have the same opinion of them (looking at you, Wes and Jenny) but it doesn't matter. I was excited to hear that they were releasing a new album, called "World Container".

Until I heard the new single, "In View" on the radio. Then I shuddered. I hated it. Again. This happened the last few times, with "Vaccination Scar" and "It's a Good Life If You Weaken" (This last song did grow on me in the end, but I still don't like "Vaccination Scar"). Other bloggers have also not given good reviews of the song either.

I hadn't paid attention to the background piano in the beginning of the song but now I just find it irritating. The other thing that bothered me was the chorus, "The phone rings once. The phone rings twice. The phone rings three times..."

Really? This is the chorus? I mean, The Hip aren't known for their thought-provoking lyrics, granted, but they could definitely do better than that.

I watched/listened to the clips of the other new songs but I can't really judge by the poor quality of the video. I'll have to just wait for the CD to come out. Hopefully, like In Between Evolution, where I skip through "Vaccination Scar" and "Heaven is A Better Place Today" to the better songs, like "Makeshift We Are" and "Goodnight Josephine", I can ignore "In View" and find the good stuff.

No comments: