Wednesday, November 15, 2006

All Things Kottke

Like Metafilter, Kottke is a site for me to find out about interesting stories, events and blog-worthy materials. These last few days have seen a smattering of interesting links. For your viewing pleasure:

1) On a desert island, if I could only take 5 comedy movies with me, they would have to be, off the top of my head: 40 Year Old Virgin, Grosse Point Blank, High Fidelity (yes, TWO John Cusack movies), Old School, and Dogma. I could live on those 5 comedies for the rest of my life. What would YOUR picks be?

2) On "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire", A good explanation on why contestants blather on about inane stories of their lives on their way to a cool million dollars.

3) Most people barely know about web 2.0 and what that means (while those who do know, generally hate the term), so why do we need web 3.0?!

4) This is supposedly a banned, un-aired ad for the XBox 360. I can totally understand why someone might not want this shown on national television, but man do I love it!

5) Finally, people who know me will know that Google Earth and Google Map are my (not-so) secret nerd-love apps. Well, someone's now provided historical maps that can be overlayed as layers on Google Earth. So for example, you can see existing 3-D buildings in the context of a New York 1836 street layout. This app just keeps getting better and better.

4 comments:

Cameron Smith said...

My top 5 desert island comedies:
(in no particular order)

1) The Royal Tenenbaums
2) Wayne's World
3) Zoolander
4) Three Amigos!
5) Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

blackhole said...

Zoolander was a near pick and I thought about Ace Ventura. There are many good candidates out there.

Anonymous said...

i don't really WATCH too many comedies, but here's what i would pick:
1. but i'm a cheerleader... (in addition to being very gay, it's actually also very funny).
2. dogma
3. D.E.B.S. (mostly because the girls are cute)
4. charlie's angels (ditto plus the small bit of action is fun)
5. XXX (not meant to be a comedy, but i laugh my ass off every time i watch it).

my comedic taste leaves a lot to be desired, but that's what i would pick.

blackhole said...

Angela,

I think I know what D.E.B.S. but maybe not. The most surprising pick I think is XXX. I guess my equivalent to that would be "Crank".