Sunday, October 17, 2004

The greatest Canadian

When I first heard about this series (rip-off of a British series) by the CBC, I thought it was lame. But it's fun every once in a while to entertain oneself with a big Canadian ego-stroking exercise. Tonight was the first show that introduced the top 50 great Canadians as suggested by everyone to the CBC. Here's the top 10 that can now be voted for again to claim the top prize:

Dr. Frederick Banting
Alexander Graham Bell
Don Cherry
Tommy Douglas
Terry Fox
Wayne Gretzky
Sir John A. McDonald
Lester B. Pearson
David Suzuki
Pierre Trudeau

An impressive list. Now, I've nothing against this next person, because he's entertaining and very popular with many Canadians. But DON CHERRY? Are you freakin' kidding me? Canada, seriously, what is wrong with you? You put him above Dr. Norman Bethune, Nellie McClung, Emily Murphy, Dr. Stephen Lewis? As much as I like Don Cherry and he deserves to be recognized, he does not deserve to be in the top 10. There are many other Canadians more deserving. I'm also surprised by David Suzuki's prominence. As a biologist, I'm quite pleased but as a Canadian I'm not quite sure of his stature within Canadian history.

In any case, I can't pick the number one choice because there are many deserving up there. However, here's my top 3 out of the 10 on the list, in no particular order, in my mind of their importance to Canada:

Tommy Douglas
Terry Fox
Pierre Trudeau

No comments: