Monday, February 28, 2005

Brewing a tempest in a teapot

Most of the time, Queen's' name usually only comes up in stories about research or gripes about lack of funding.

So it was a surprise to learn from my friend that Queen's University's name appeared in the New York Times. And then I read the story from the Globe and Mail and the Kingston Whig-Standard...

Apparently our new Principal, Dr. Karen Hitchcock was embroiled in an ethics inquiry (during her transition from SUNY Albany to Queen's) regarding a supposed discussion with a developer about guaranteeing a construction contract at the university in exchange for endowing a chair that she could fill when she left her position of Principal at SUNY. The New York Times article apparently questioned why Queen's would hire her while she was involved in ths inquiry by the state's ethics commission.

State law in New York prevents further inquiry once she left her academic position. Her lawyer responded that Hitchcock answered all the commission's questions and that everyone was aware of her resignation, that it hadn't been accelerated or anything. In fact, she already had tenure, so why she would need an endowment from outside was also questioned. Our Chancellor Charles Baillie back her and the school's decision fully, saying that she had been forthcoming with the inquiry and that Queen's own investigation showed no reason to delay her hiring.

I would have to read the NY Times to see what the big deal really is about. This seems like one of those situations where it sounds and looks worse than it actually is. Had the inquiry actually found some substance to those allegations, I'm sure it would've come up during the hiring process and that local media would've picked up on it sooner rather than now. And I have confidence in Queen's that they wouldn't hire someone who may be ethically compromised. Therefore, I'm really intrigued as to why the NYT would bring it up now...but frankly, I can't be bothered to register their website.

What's really irksome is the response to Hitchcock's hiring. A friend who works for campus fundraising apparently had to prepare responses for her callers if alumni were to ask about these current 'allegations' (that have since been picked up by no one, thank goodness) or why Queen's decided to an American (gasp!) or a woman (gasp gasp!!). The American question was also made by sources of the Globe article.

If alumni are seriously asking these sorts of questions, then I'm truly ashamed. These are the same people who graduated from a university that prides itself on cultivating 'global citizens.' But apparently, we can't even donate money without bad-mouthing our neighbours to the south. Can someone give me a good reason why an American can't be our Principal? American universities attract our administrators all the time (ask UofT) because they look for the best, not because they're looking for a particular nationality. Why should we disqualify someone just because they're American? It's this type of knee-jerk anti-Americanism that gives the CPC (Conservative Party of Canada), Bill O'Reilly and Tucker Carlson's ilk ammo for their mouths. And if you're asking why Queen's hired a woman, then you need to go back to the 1950s and stay there. There's no point in arguing with you. You're hopeless.

For most people, this is a non-story. For the Queen's alum readers out there, hoped you enjoyed this post with your afternoon tea.

4 comments:

Cameron Smith said...

The anti-Americanism was hip for a while, but it's being taken way too far lately.

If we're in such a state that 'll deny qualified people from contributing to our culture just because of their nationality then we've achieved a state of paranoia second to the Americans themselves. (this isn't 'hip' American bashing though, this is legitimate stuff.)

If Hitchcock gets sacked, I call another notch for my "World Going to Hell' column.

blackhole said...

Cam,

Don't worry. Hitchcock won't get sacked. As I said, tempest in a teapot. I've heard nothing since the Globe and the Whig picked it up. The Journal (campus paper) will have a story but that's about it... it's blogworthy b/c it's about Queen's from the mainstream media...

Anonymous said...

Hi Calvin! How are you? Feeling much better, I hope. I am tan and employed for the summer, and thus happy. I'm simple folk. :)

Just in case you were still wondering...the original Times article was mainly about the loophole in NY state law that forced all ethics commission inquiries to cease and desist if the accused resigned. Sooo, "when" Hitchy resigned - ie, she had actually decided to leave SUNY Albany before the complaint was filed against her - they had to stop looking into her.

I spent all Monday night drawing up the stupid timeline for the Journal. It's all rather tricky and dumb and yes, tempest-in-a-teapot-y. I feel badly for Hitchy in that her name will never be completely cleared due to this silly law. I don't really like her, but I don't think she's guilty.

The thing that bothered me the most, though, was that the Board of Trustees knew all along, and didn't think we were worthy enough to know. I understand confidential hiring processes, and I understand there's no good way to spin "our top candidate is under an ethics investigation," but honestly? The fact that they're saying "we investigated it and we support her" means a lot less to me now than it would have in May.

Blah blah blah. Sorry to jump on your blog and blab! Hope to see you soon!!

Megan

p.s. I haven't updated my LJ because it keeps freezing my computer. &*(%%$*. Just in case you were wondering. :)

blackhole said...

Megan,

Thanks for the heads up on the NYT. I just wanted to make sure that the Globe and the Whig had accurate information since I was describing second-hand information.

I think the Board of Trustees couldn't have won either way. If they don't tell us, we get our current situation. If they do tell us during the hiring process, it breaks confidentiality and maybe someone will ask them not to hire her because of the inquiry even though she may be a top candidate and we'd be without a Principal.
If they told us afterwards in May, I think someone's underwear would still get bunched up over this.

I just don't understand why it came out now rather than earlier, say in May when she was confirmed as Principal for us. And I don't think you're blabbing, I appreciate your comment and clarifying somethings up. As for LJ, you should just switch to Blogger instead!