Friday, August 12, 2005

Thoughts for the evening

Watching the Daily Show I wondered, "Does Pat Robertson or anyone else for that matter realize how ridiculous he (Robertson) looks praying to GOD to open up more US Supreme Court vacancies, besides the fact that he's doing it on television?"

And reading CalgaryGrit, I'm surprised by the knee-jerk reactions that some conservative commenters have towards any responses from anyone from Ontario. I mean, I wouldn't be the first to say that there are dingbats (and I use the term in the most lovingly way, of course) on all sides of the political spectrum who couldn't argue themselves out of a paperbag and only know to spew vitriol at each other.

But when someone like James Bow (and there were others) tries to have a reasoned debate about the the NEP (which I know is a source of resentment by people from western provinces) and all we get are comments like,

"Alberta was going into a recession anyways so it was ok to steal 80 billion dollars from them" (as if it's some ongoing conspiracy hatched up by Trudeau to screw each and every Albertan personally...)

and,

"nice attempt at revising history. Where do you live now? Oh, yea it's Toronto" (because where you live automatically invalidates your opinion, right? Isn't that what SOME people, whom I shall not name, accuse left-wing commenters of doing? Congratulations, you've won a free pass to Hypocrisyville!)

it's little wonder why no one takes you seriously...because no one should. In any case, I don't know anything about the NEP and I would LOVE it if some conservative commenter can just go onto CalgaryGrit and debate with James Bow and all the others in a civilized manner so that maybe, just maybe, I'll learn something new about our national history.

2 comments:

James Bow said...

Thanks for the kind words!

blackhole said...

James,

It was just so irritating to see you try to start up a real discussion and have NO ONE counter you reasonably.