Wednesday, December 21, 2005

And another year ends

First to answer some earlier questions, my 'self' that needs to slip away is a metaphorical one, not a physical one...the physical self stays.

Before I continue, I think we need something light-hearted, say two students from U Michigan running around their library as Pac-Man and the Ghost (Quicktime, Courtesy Boing Boing).

Now onto more mundane things. My third term of my Master's has ended and I'm about to go home for a 2 and change week's worth of respite. For what it's worth, it's been a mixed-bag term.

Academically, it's been horrible. My thesis has been untouched and our project course brought neither joy, wisdom or anything of worth save maybe our report that could be used in my portfolio. Frankly, there was such little innovation bound in those pages that it probably ain't worth much anyhow.

Personally, it's a strange journey. Many of the people I have met are great people, as I've blogged about before. I've also grown to intimately know the friends still here as well, and that too is something to be enjoyed. However, in other areas there is no progression, no regression, nothing. People around me get hurt and there's very little that I can do, and it's a shitty feeling. I guess it also doesn't help that it's December and I miss that feeling of fingers touching...

One bright spot is our victorious intramural volleyball team, which one the rec-league this Fall. We're all jonesing for our t-shirts, but I've a feeling that Duane Parliament's gonna conveniently forget that he promised us these items.

There were definitely high hopes for this term, from me and some of my friends. It's darkly funny how it's turned out instead. And while I would normally say, 'oh well, next term's going to be better,' I'm gonna hedge my bet just a little this time around.

The Canadian election's about and I've no frickin' clue what's going on. Trying to keep up with the world this term has been excruciatingly tough, no thanks to our Project Course and Ga-TI-neau. What I do like is that there's a lot more policy being bantered about, particularly from the Conservatives, for which I give them kudos. Whether I'll agree with their policies or not remains to be seen, but at least it's making me want to read about what their plan is for Child Care or Defense, and it's making everyone (including me) play catch-up. It's too bad their leader's Stephen Harper. Otherwise, I'd definitely consider voting Conservative...but for now, I'll stick with the Greens until I've finished digesting the respective platforms.

Finally, on two points that gives me a sliver of feeling of hope that humanity isn't as bloody useless as it's making itself to be,

First, the minority US Senate has successfully filibustered the Defense Bill that has the scenery-chewing Alaskan Senator Ted Steven's tacked-on provision to open up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Instead, the bill will be passed without the ANWR provision and once again, the Refuge will indeed be a refuge...until Ted Stevens decides once again to tack it onto every bill that passes through the Senate...

Second, while Kansas' Board of Education decided, in an act of supreme arrogance and stupidity, to rewrite the definition of 'Science,' a federal judge in Dover, Pennsylvania has ruled that Intelligent Design is, well, not so intelligent; and neither can one really rewrite the definition of science. You can read the full decision HERE, and the kicker is that the judge is Judge John E. Jones III, a Republican appointed by Bush...I'd like to see Bill O'Reilly spin this one (though if he can spin Jon Stewart's show as one against Christmas, then I guess he can spin anything)...

Well, that should leave you with enough of me to chew on. Hope it's delicious.

No comments: