Friday, March 31, 2006

So disappointing

At Queen's at the very least, there is a tradition among the graduating class of engineers that on April 1st (April Fool's), various site gags would greet students walking into campus. In the past, the gags have been superb:

  • replacing the Grant Hall tower analog clock with a digital replica
  • 'crashing' an airplane into the Grant Hall clock tower
  • Covering Alfie's Pub entrance with cement
  • Having a 'crashed' correctional vehicle in the corner of Douglas Library
  • And my personal favourite: stuffed mannequins hung down with rope along a wall of the Grant hall clock tower with a giant banner beside it screaming, "OH NO! NINJAS!"

As the years progressed, however, the gags have been increasingly lame. The two I noticed this year was the placement of free "Starbucks" coffee in the Stauffer library foyer with the sign "Free. Not Poison." (It wasn't even good social commentary...) and orange barrier fence wrapped around the JDUC (John Deustch University Centre) with various snippy remarks about the incoming Queen's Centre.

So unless, there were better gags inside the JDUC or elsewhere (I didn't see any on Grant Hall) or this is a prelude to the real thing tomorrow (since it is Mar. 31 today, afterall), the class of Sci '06 should hang their head in shame, because this was a piss-poor job.

4 comments:

Matthew said...

Can I know reiterate my refrain of "the kids these days..."?

Matthew said...

Can I now reiterate my refrain of, "the kids these days..."?

blackhole said...

I do agree with you, Optimus, that the TTC Subway gag was good. But there seems to be less of them and less prominent.

As for the Starbucks thing, I personally saw engineers taking down the leftover 'signs' in Stauffer; but I guess there can be a batch of engineer hippies hangin' about.

Jonah P said...

Great reading your bloog post