Wednesday, July 05, 2006

my dealers...of music

I don't know what brought this about, but most of you may already know of the bands of which I'm about to speak, so bare with me.

My music collection is probably defined as "alt-rock indie" (with a smattering of other genres) at best and "mainstream bandwagon indie-hopping" at worst. However, my favourites are due solely to the friends around me who either dragged me to a concert or lent me their CD to listen to and of course, I was blown away by what I was hearing. So this post is for them. In no particular order of favourites:

Mike Rate: he was a master's student in my lab when I was doing my undergrad thesis. To kill the many hours of driving, he brought along a well-honed collection of CDs of the hard-rock, punk persuasion. He re-introduced me to Queens of the Stone Age and Less than Jake. Less than Jake's "Anthem" was probably not the best ska-punk CD in people's minds by far. I don't know what it was, but I could listen to that CD over and over and over...and I did. It also spurred me back on to the punk train, to look up good ol' bands like the Ramones, the Clash and the contemporary ones like NoFX and Bad Religion. I had actually listened to QOTSA's "Songs for the Deaf" one time at Future Shop but couldn't get into it. It took listening to Mike's CD for 2 months straight to get me hooked. 65 minutes of damaging guitar hooks and Dave Grohl's drumming deliciousness was an energizer during the hellishness that was coring in the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia.

Wesley Fok: Ahh, Wesley, proud owner of Chrominance and Angels Twenty. He dragged me to the Merchant one late May evening and blew me away with Joel Plaskett's onstage presence... So much rock-goodness, drunken bass guitaring and catchy lyrics that should be and usually are cliches, but when he sings it, they just sound so original. Each of the Joel Plaskett Emergency's records sound different from the last one, but you can hear the progresssion and the, I don't know, earnestness, I guess. Though Wesley doesn't enjoy him as much anymore, and his song "Nowhere with You" is now schilling for Zeller's, I would still drop everything and catch him in concert, no matter what town he and I might be at the same time.

Christina Cheung: Christina gave me a few mp3s from the Decemberists "Castaways and Cutouts" and I was immediately hooked. They were unlike a lot of bands I was listening to at the time because a lot of their songs were ballads of olde. Stories about legionnaires, chamisoles, countess and courtesans using guitars and accordions and a bevy of other instruments. And that's their schtick and they're good at their schtick. They are so much fun and their stories are always so catchy. They're like a good Pulitzer-prize winning novel, but for my ears! Their new album is coming out soon and I'm ever so excited. "Castaways and Cutouts" and "Picaresque" are equally good.

Wade Guyitt and Christine Lee: I had low, low expectations for the Final Fantasy concert. Especially when the opening acts were beyond weird and uninteresting. When Final Fantasy finally started, it ended up being one guy and a violin. Good thing that one guy happened to be Owen Pallett, who has not only been on the Vinyl Cafe but also collaborated on Arcade Fire's superb "Funeral". He was absolutely brilliant onstage, and if you don't believe me now, would you believe me then? Judgment's still out on his newest record, "He Poos Clouds", though.

My music collection would be so much worse if it wasn't for these people. And I thank them. But I was thinking. Where do they hear the next brilliant band from? I mean, I'm clearly 4 or 5 steps from the source (of "good music"), but they're definitely a few steps closer. Does it even matter that it takes me this many steps to discover a new, great band? Or does this have to do with the personal sense of "discovery" and "ownership," of knowing a great band before everyone else? Still, I'm curious how (and really it's just) Wesley and Christina keep tab with the burgeoning music scene, even though some of their recent recommendations haven't hit me the same way as the others...? I mean, I know where pot dealers usually get their merchandise, where do Wesley and Christina get theirs?

No comments: