Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Oh, the guilt

It's not that I find blogging a chore, but I definitely feel guilty both when I haven't posted something of substance in adequate frequency and when I feel like I'm procrastinating WHEN I am posting something of substance. I just can't win. Oh well, here're some nuggets, for those still interested in reading:
First, Ken Jennings (yes, that Ken Jennings from Jeopardy) writes an obviously satirical post about how Jeopardy should be improved. Anyone who reads it will agree with me that he is quite obviously sarcastic and not at all serious. What's interesting is that Michael Starr of the New York Post took it seriously and publishes it, which gets picked up by AP! Ken of course takes it in stride, but someone really needs to buy Mr. Starr a clue (for $400, Alex...).

Number two, thanks to his infamous stunt in the World Cup final, Zinedine Zidane's name has now been verbed.

Finally, here are three very interesting posts by Declan on transit and the Stats Canada report about commuting times. Part 1 briefly talks about the report, the major thing being car travel and transit times are up (except in Vancouver) and transit times are higher than automobile travel times. Part 2 deals with why that might be and how traffic demand works in big cities. As an urban planner to be, I am ashamed that I can't answer his question to my own satisfaction mainly because I've read very little on traffic issues. What he says makes sense to me but I can't say for sure and frankly it's going to make me procrastinate for an hour or so trying to find an academic paper that confirms this. Finally, part 3's a doozy. It's funny and at the same time a bit sad. He rebuts a Margaret Wente column with this issue and it's funny because Wente's column is JUST TERRIBLY WRITTEN AND ARGUED. It's sad because a fair number of Globe readers will have read it and a percentage of that group will agree with her erroneous statements and will in no way help to bring better transit to Toronto. Let's hope that these people will read Declan's rebuttal...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I managed to make it as far as:

"As for lower-income people — supposedly the main beneficiaries of public transit — they have an alternative, too. It's called used cars."

And then I stabbed my eyes out with a rusty knife.

blackhole said...

Wouldn't you rather stab HER eyes out with a rusty knife?

(No, I'm not advocating physically attacking Margaret Wente, even though i know the 2 readers out there know I'm kidding, but I'm sure the hell covering my butt.)