Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Obvi. that's just ridic. and exces.

via kottke.

The Internet, via the email and instant messaging (IM), has been a leader in the great bastardization of the English language. And yes, it's not a new thing since it's a continually evolving language and others have tried to tenderize it before (Remember Ebonics, anyone?).

Now, my friends have used short-forms such as 'convos' for conversation and 'whatevs' for whatever and I generally roll my eyes at them.

But this girl's use of abbreviations and shortcuts is just ridiculous and excessive.

I'm sitting here and writing this and it doesn't seem like I have a point to make, much like the article. The author doesn't chastise nor condone her sister's way of speaking. I'm just curious as to what the point of abbreviating everything is? It's not like it saves that much more time by not saying the remaining variables. Is it clever for clever's sake?

I'm also not lamenting over the downfall of the english language since you have to know the full word to understand the abbreviation. Besides, I can't see a functional english language being fully distilled into five letter, monosyllabic arrangements and there'd be enough english majors left in the world who'll smack people down trying to use the Ling in any formal basis.

Anyways, if anyone catches me talking like that, I give you permission to Rochambeau me, and you can go first.

2 comments:

Cameron Smith said...

This reminds me so much of cockney slang, and I'm sure it will have no more impact on the way the rest of us speak English.

Still, it's a variation on the language that would be totally unrecognizable to anyone outside that small group.

A Gary Player of all that rabbiting would make me chicken oriental fast, know what I mean!

blackhole said...

Maybe it's best that I didn't know what you meant...