Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Crazy Bookshoppers, a series?

So Angela had noticed that I hadn't posted in a very long time and wanted stories about crazy bookshoppers.

There have been some...interesting shoppers, and few come to mind, but I want to save those for the next few posts, since they deserve their own. No names, no locations. Nothing. If I get fired from Chapters because of this blog, it'd be funny, sad and lame all at the same time.

Suffice it to say, shoppers are messy. Chapters encourage this because we allow people to browse. During the holiday season, it just becomes worse. People are more demanding about wanting the material but at the same time other people are inconsiderate with the way they handle the material. They work against themselves. When I have to pick up coffee cups and used tissues from the shelves, that just frustrates me. Thus, people on my MSN lists have been on the receiving end of very terse messages about Chapters customers as part of my name.

I'm glad it's slowly returning to normal volumes of customers. Though It also means that employees have to once again be a bit more persuasive about making that sale, so back to something that I know is part of my job that I'm okay at but uncomfortable with at times.

Gives me one more reason to finish my thesis more quickly.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

I refrain as much as possible from posting personal stories to my own blog - that's just my own preference. But I will take the opportunity you have presented as a segue.

Under the title "Crazy Book Shelvers"

Fiction titles at my book store are shelved, as one would expect, alphabetically by the author's surname. So, it came as some surprise when I, or other co-workers, found the following books shelved in the following sections:

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe - under C.

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes - under Q.

And...

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy under K.

Is there a customer screwing with us, or is there someone on our staff who seriously doesn't know the classics of literature?

I joked that it would have been funnier if they had been found in the biography section - as if Anna Karenina had written a biography of Tolstoy.

Anonymous said...

I don't want you to lose your job, so wait until you quit in a blaze of glory and that dish on this here blog!

Matthew has given me great ideas for how to screw with the local chapters. I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise. ;)

blackhole said...

I wanted my blog to include opinions, interesting stories and personal posts. I try to balance it so that I'm not JUST talking about myself (that would get boring quick) but technically, it's tilted so that I'm actually lacking in the personal stories.

As for the book shelving, I tend to think those are shoppers who aren't quite sure how the shelving system works (I've been asked many times whether it's by title or author) so I tend to think it's customers who have put these titles away incorrectly.