Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Funny Municipality Names in Ontario

In my quasi-research for my master's paper, I've run across some funny names in Ontario. So here they are, for your amusement:

Township of Burpee and Mills
Township of Calvin (obviously it's funny...)
United Townships of Dysart, Dudley, Harcourt, Guilford, Harburn, Bruton, Havelock, Eyre and Clyde (phew, I'm out of breath...)
Township of Limerick (There once was a township named Limerick...HA!)
Town of Mono
Township of Moonbeam
Town of Spanish (There's only one requirement to live here. Can YOU guess what it is?)
Township of The Archipelago
Municipality of The Nation
Township of Tiny
Township of Zorra (it's almost Zorro...)

Obviously, it's a subjective list. You could find other names to be amusing, like Puslinch...or Newmarket.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here now... me mum was a Burpee before she was married :-)

... I wonder if i got any relatives there?

blackhole said...

Stageleft,

It's always good to know that there are good Burpees about. These places certainly makes Ontario more quirky than it's known for...

Matthew said...

I really hope that the local newspaper in the Municipality of the Nation is called: The State of the Nation