Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Stream of Consciousness in Calgary

Spending time with Tara, Jess and Moni in Calgary has been phenomenal. I've seen so many parts of Calgary (Eau Clair Market, Calgary Zoo, Princes Island, Elbow River Trail, Stampede Park) and hiking in Nihahi Creek was one of the most wonderful experiences I've ever had.

And yet, while it's been so fun to see my friends, I'm constantly feeling this twinge of regret/sadness underneath it all, and I don't know why. Also, the smallest little thing about my friend is annoying me right now and while normally it wouldn't, it is at the moment. I can't explain it, I want it to go away but I can't.

In any case, I've learned there certainly is a different mentality out here. And I respect it, and it shouldn't divide us as a nation, but it does, both in how we view the West and how they view the East (case in point, the Alberta Separatist Party). There is so much potential in this nation and what we can achieve. What's stopping us is the petty squabbling and stereotyping that is so easy to do. If we just worked a little harder...

Also, I need to frickin remember that when I'm talking to my friends in Ontario or calling them, that there is a 2 bloody hour time difference between here and there...

For some final props:
Tara: Thank you so much for taking me around Stampede. Lethbridge was interesting, albeit still very suburbanish. We'll have to work on our golf game together.
Jess: Thank you for taking us to Nihahi creek and spending all that time with me. I'm sure you had tons of stuff to do getting settled but I really appreciate the fact that you spent so much time with me as you did. Stay the way you are, and don't you dare go cowboy on me.
Moni: Thank you so much for housing me and just being my other half. Emma's the cutest niece ever and it'll be wicked fun if you return to Ontario

No comments: