Sunday, August 27, 2006

He's so pointy it hurts...

So, they're coming out with a live-action "Transformers" movie in 2007. Okay, it's Transformers. I'm well aware. I loved them as a kid and I'm 24 now. I realize that. I told some friends that I'd go see it in theatres but I probably won't because I'm 24. Even though the this video clip of Optimus Prime wasn't too shabby. I mean, this picture of him seems very faithful to the cartoon:


So far so good. My question is this. How did we get a Megatron that goes from looking like this originally:
To this for the movie:

WTF?! So many thoughts going into my head...like the fact that it was designed by some 14 year-old fanboy with a hard-on for sharp, pointy things...or the fact that Megatron seem to have been based on tattoo designs...or the fact that Megatron seemed to have fallen one too many times into a skate sharpener...everything about this design seems to scream "EXTREME!!!" but in that overused, late '90s way.

Anyways, this has effectively ruined the movie. Oh well, I guess you really can't bring your childhood back...

Hat tip to The Superficial, The Comic Blog, and Comic Art Community for the story and the pictures

4 comments:

Cameron Smith said...

Only by hiring HR Geiger as concept artist could they have both fucked up Megatron more, and fulfilled their artistic designs to the fullest.

Hollywood, you have sodomized one more cherished childhood memory.

blackhole said...

Amen, dear friend of Transformers, amen.

Anonymous said...

i read this whole post and all i can think is... YOU'RE ONLY 24!? in my head you're at least a year older than i am. how did that happen?

blackhole said...

Angela,

I don't know, maybe because I don't drink and act bitter and sullen all the time (though I guess that should cause me to drink MORE)...

In any case, I find I act more often like a 14 year old then a 24 year old...wait, how old are we really?