Monday, September 13, 2004

Review from the Peanut Gallery

Kudos and thanks to the Hip for putting on a very fulfilling mini-festival for me. I’ve been looking forward to this event since I heard the rumours and I am quite satisfied. The weather could not have been better, with cool temperatures and a mix of sun and clouds. Everything ran very smoothly, though by the end of the show, too many pedestrians had clogged up the causeway to allow buses through. All in all, it was a fine way to end the summer and start off my first year in grad studies. Now, on to my non-professional comments on the set

Chris Koster: in transit. Therefore, no comment.

James McKenty and the Spades: Only caught the last two songs, but they seemed half decent so I wouldn’t mind checking out any show they play in Kingston.

The Sadies: what can I say, they played like the Sadies. A competent set, but I think their type of country/rock/surfing-esque music seemed ill suited for an outdoor venue. A smaller club where people can actually dance to their music seems more fitting.

The Trews: The first band to get most of their people on their feet with their hits. Having played in Sackville, N.B. the night before and having to travel to play in the afternoon, they get much respect for their willingness to drop everything to play this charity gig.

Hugh Dillon Redemption Choir: Hugh with a sunny disposition? What gives? True to the name, it seems a makeup-less Hugh in a nice suit has been redeemed in some way and is in a much more positive mood, ending each song with a “Nice!” or “Beautiful!” Although only eliciting modest applause, some of it probably had to do with the fact that the songs were new to everyone and probably should have gone before the Trews. I did enjoy the electric keyboard that sounded like an organ at times, which reminded me of being in a church. This was definitely not church music, though. When a fan suggested Hugh play Tweeter and the Monkeyman from his Headstone days, there was an immediate “no,” preferring to rip into the new material. Though most of my friends were a little disappointed, I’m eager to actually listen to the new material that’s been more appropriately mixed.

Matt Good: Matt was more accommodating, mixing in some songs from his solo effort (Weapon) with those of the Matt Good Band days (Everybody’s Automatic, Apparitions). Unsure of whether he meant it or not, he commended the Kingstonians for making out to the charity gig, saying that Vancouverites would never come out in such numbers. Really? In such an urban city? I’m really surprised. I particularly enjoyed his dedication of Alert Status Red to Tom Ridge and John Ashcroft, who in his mind were "two dicks." Nothing extraordinary, a good set with good response since most people came to see him and the Hip.

Das Hips: Again, The Hip I don’t think are known for their innovative musical skills but rather the ability to put out consistently solid records. Their concerts go much the same. This one was particularly more enjoyable because I was able to hear instrument and vocals, a first for me at one of their concerts. The acoustics for me were great for all the bands, but particularly the Hip. My friends and I tried to get closer to the stage to feed off the vibe of the compact crowd, but I don’t know whether it’s the fans themselves around me or the fact that there was so many of us, they didn’t seem alive and engaged (also possible they were stoned). Another thing I noticed was that nobody knew the lyrics to any song post-Fully Completely. What’s up with that? Do people not realize that they’ve since put out six albums? The only songs I heard people singing along to were Courage, New Orleans is Sinking, Blow at High Dough and finally Ahead by a Century. Even blistering renditions of Fireworks and At the Hundredth Meridian didn’t elicit the response I expected. Maybe I just have higher expectations from Hip fans but I definitely expected more people to know the lyrics to more songs.

At one point, Gord Downie got ahead of himself and started introducing Gus, the Polar Bear… when they were actually planning to play Mean Streak. The only regret I have was not having my lighter for Wheat Kings…there were definitely not enough lighters being waved around for that song. All in all, it was fantastic, but of course, my opinion’s biased on this matter…

No comments: