Wednesday, October 27, 2004

On the wrong side of victory

So my intermural ultimate season ended tonight, with a dismal loss, something around 9-2, 10-2. It also didn't feel good at all. We ended our season 1-3 without any defaults, which I guess is an improvement over my previous seasons.

As much as I enjoy being destroyed in games as the next person...I really don't. It seems like there are fewer and fewer teams composed of people hoping to play a couple of intermural games with friends. The teams were tougher competition than I faced in previous seasons. Though I lost games in those too, at least they were tight games and there was actual competition between teams. It's possible my team just got a bad draw and played against three really good teams. I don't dispute that possibility, but there's 20-30 teams and to just happen to draw all these teams, I'd have bought some lottery tickets at the same time.

Now, I'm glad there're so many good players at Queen's. It's little wonder that our school team were recent national champions at a tournament out west. However, I'd like to have one season again where we could actually put up a good fight instead of being smothered within the first 20 minutes. To me, it's just been too demoralizing.

Maybe what we need for the intermural league is to split up the teams into 'recreational' and 'competitive' sections because there is definitely a visible difference in skill.

Caveat (October 31, 2004): This is a reproduction of the original post because Blogger, in its infinite wisdom as I tried to update this post, decided to delete the entire thing instead...21st technology is fabulous these days.

No comments: