Sunday, October 03, 2004

This one's for the Gipper!

Actually, no. This one's for my housemates at 390A Alfred Street and the ultimate team of Morris2!

We did it. The SURP (School of Urban and Regional Planning) ultimate team won our first intermural game by the score of 6-5. This is my first outright win (my old team had only won through defaults) and had lost many close games. I've sworn to dedicate every win to my old team, who've honed my skills to the semi-competent player that I've become. Standing on the shoulders of giants...well, shoulders of tall people anyways.

Now for some post-game analysis.
We played better, connected more short passes, but had trouble converting in the end zone, especially at the beginning. We need to learn to take our time to look for open players and catchers (me included) need to cut towards the disc more. This may require some scrimmaging.

I was also uncomfortable with the win because many fouls were called. Not that it's a problem in itself, but I know from my gameplay today that the other team let a lot of fouls go while we did not. I know what it's like to play teams who are more adherent to and knowledgeable of the rules and I find it's usually better to let it go or on a contentious point, to redo the play. It is intermurals and it should be for fun. Hopefully we'll find a better balance in terms of how and when we call our fouls.

Next game, I will need to find a way to be more visible. I was quite the Invisible Man today.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

I thought we gave 110 percent. I'm really pleased with the way the team is playing. We're really coming together and finding the zone. We're taking our chances when they come. Of course there is always room for improvement, but I like what I've seen so far. We're gaining momentum and if we keep this up we should go right into the post season. Personally, I'm just playing my best and supporting the team.