Saturday, October 16, 2004

What the FUCK is wrong with you?

I'm writing this to release some anger so bear with me.

My prof was hit by a car this afternoon at the end of our field trip in the entrance to the Wolfe Island Ferry. This was a tragic and very avoidable accident because the driver (who had a son in the passenger seat no less) was driving way too fast into the lanes and by the time she started braking, my prof had no chance of avoiding the car. Although I'm unaware of his condition right now, there were no external injuries when he was taken away by ambulance so hopefully injuries will be minor and I hope he will make a speedy recovery.

What makes me sick is the fact that the driver told us she was just going to park her car and instead fucking took off away from the scene of the crime. Yes, it's no longer an accident now, it's a crime scene and she is now a criminal.

These next few lines are to you the driver, even though you'll never read this: I feel sorry for your son, but I hope you are prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Not only are you teaching your son a terrible lesson in avoiding your fucking responsibility as a person living in a society, but you left the scene of an accident and you lied to 30 witnesses. We know the make of your car and the license plate, so be responsible, give yourself up and face the consequences that reflect your actions.

The worst thing is the helplessness that set in at the time of the accident. Several students were very responsive to the situation and quickly took action. For that, I commend them because their actions reflect the best that humanity has to offer. I can't help but feel that I should've taken more decisive action in this affair. I know everyone will agree that it happens, but I feel that way nonetheless. I am fortunate to be TAing a class of bright and wonderful students who knows what to do if something arises.

And to all those people who make fun of cops and such, screw you. You have no idea how important the police become when you get into a situation such as this. Even though they have been unable to catch the driver (as far as I know) and could only take statements from us, the symbol of their authority at the time was reassuring nonetheless. That is why I will never make derogatory comments about them. At this point, all I have is the belief that justice will prevail and the cops will catch her.


UPDATE: Oct. 17, 2:29 AM
My other prof sent us an email tonight and it seems that the most serious injury my prof suffered is a serious bump in the head and the driver came forward to the police. I do not know if any criminal charges will be laid and although she is now more contrite (she left a note for my prof in the hospital), I still feel she needs have her license taken away from her, minimum.

No comments: