Sunday, November 28, 2004

How am I so out of practice?

It's Sunday morning and I'm writing a 20 page paper with a partner (who's in Montreal right now, so I've been doing a lot of the writing, but that's besides the point) and I've noticed how it's been difficult to sit still for several hours and just write.

I hadn't written anything of substance since, well, in a hell of a long time. I don't think anything I've written in my university career have been mediocre, let alone decent. So having established a fantastic track record and not having written something in a year (my thesis doesn't count, since it was the spawn of the Lake That Shall Not Be Named), how am I supposed to pull off a well-written, thoughtful analysis of a transboundary ecosystem conservation intiative when I'm this rusty at well, composing a sentence? The simple answer I guess is I don't. The longer answer might be to continually write so that I can regain the routine of focusing on the screen and putting finger to key. Yeah, maybe afterwards, I'll build myself a brand new engine to replace the internal combustion engine. Funny how so many things in our lives are about creating routines. Guess our brain just doesn't like to think when we don't need to.

And even if by some chain of events we somehow manage to pull something respectable out of this, I've another 20-page paper with a partner due and a 15-page solo effort. Make no mistake, I'm not complaining about my workload. Hell, I'm blogging right now to AVOID my work.

Yeah, I definitely like where this is going. I'm just sayin'.

No comments: