Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Terry Fox: The Canadian Dream

I just finished watching CBC's Greatest Canadian piece on Terry Fox and although in a previous post I merely predicted a top three, I believe that Terry Fox will and should win this 'popularity' contest.

His story on its own deserves accolades. A simple story of courage and perseverence, mimicking the origins of the marathon so well, especially with the 'hero' dying at the end of the journey. All for a cause and the cure that he himself can't benifit from.

But to me, it's much more than that. Terry Fox and his story is the personification of the Canadian Dream. It is everything that Canadians want Canada to be in one story: It is a selfless act that brings results. He and his Merathon of Hope had no political or corporate undertones. It had the support of ALL Canadians. The Terry Fox Run has spread to over 50 countries around the world.

Isn't that the ideal of all Canadian policy? Supported by all of Canada, altruistic in its benefits, and has international influence. Don't we wish every government bill and policy statements had those kind of ideals imbued in them?

I think so. But maybe I'm buying into that Canadian Myth. And that's fine. That's a myth I want to buy into.

No comments: