Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Reality TV needs to go...NOW

This is why I don't watch TV.

Reality TV's just mean and degrading nowadays. Not that it wasn't before, but it's too prevalent now for me not just to ignore them but to outright hate them: The Swan, The Biggest Loser, He's A Lady (I know that's not what it's called, but that's the gist of the show), the "I'm lying to my family about my groom...", and now, the $25 million Hoax.

Seriously, is this what people watch? Humiliation and Deception? This is why people buy TVs for? Has the bottom of the barrel not been scraped thoroughly? Are you not hitting oak splinters by now? Are we so unimaginative that we're relegated to picking on people on live television?

Will Reality TV please just eat itself so we can all move on to something just as inane and trivial but at least it doesn't ask people to live like the middle ages and be subjected to tomatoes and rotten vegetables being thrown at them for money?

Dignity, restore some semblance of dignity on TV, Please!

1 comment:

Cameron Smith said...

Does anybody remember The Mole, or Boot Camp? Two first generation reality shows that were actually good. I think it's because people were chosen to stay on based on their subjective performance in competition, not on how much/little of a bitch/bastard they were.

Sports make for great reality TV... Burnett reality TV incorporates competition the same way high school students compete for the head cheerleader. It's all a bunch of teen drama, I think a little REAL competition would make for good viewing.