Thursday, November 11, 2004

Remembrance Day

On the 11th hour of the 11 day of the 11 month of 2004, I was unfortunately in class and my prof did not end his lecture on time for me to solemnly reflect on the lives of those given so we may live ours as we can now. I thought about how the world moves as it does, stops for one minute as everyone reflects and pays respects, and then starts again. It just seems so odd that we can drop everything and pick them up again so quickly. I am not disparaging anyone by that remark, but it just doesn't seem right for some reason. I don't know.

The other thing I was thinking about was a Star piece that ran over last weekend concerning the last 8 surviving veterans from WWI. And I wondered when all our veterans are gone, whether we will be able to continue to reflect and remember with such vigour without these anchors to history. I hope so. I really do.

Since he beat me to it, I'll just link to Matt and thank him for providing "In Flanders Field" on his blog. And I agree with him. Remembrance Day should always be cold, windy and rainy. If our veterans can endure so much for our future, we can endure a little bit of rain.

No comments: